Associate of Science in Diagnostic Sonography
Combine your interest in technology with your desire to help others
Do you enjoy helping people and like the idea of working in a medical environment? Then the Diagnostic Sonography program at St. Catharine College in Kentucky may offer an opportunity that deserves a closer look. Through this program, you will gain the skills you need to perform medical tests on patients using ultrasound technology. Our highly competitive degree program accepts only 18 students per year in order to maintain our highly favorable 6:1 student to professor ratio in the classroom. Hands-on experience with our excellent equipment in combination with a strong clinical rotation program and excellent classroom instruction assures graduates of the SCC Sonography program a strong position in the job market.
Special program highlights and features:
- Graduates of this program have mastered entry level competencies in their area of emphasis.
- Students learn on SCC’s extensive instructional lab equipment including Philips, ATL, Acuson, GE and physiological equipment.
- The program begins each August with students attending full-time for 21 consecutive months. At program completion they are eligible to sit for their national registry board examinations to earn their professional credential(s).
- Students receive extensive hands-on training in area clinics. Eight-hour-a-day clinical rotations begin during the 10-week summer term when students attend clinic 32 hours per week. During the 16-week Fall and Spring terms, students attend clinic 24 hours per week.
- Program goals include graduating sonographers who are professional, adaptable and capable of passing the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography examination.
- To earn a Sonography credential, students must pass both the Sonography Principles and Instrumentation (SPI) National Board Examination and the specific technology area examinations.
- In addition to the accreditation held by SCC as a whole, the health science program has been accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) since October 2002.
- General Sonography – abdomen and ob/gyn
- Noninvasive Vascular Technology
- Echocardiography - adult
Meet the Faculty
Faculty who teach in the Diagnostic Sonography program include:
- Saretta Craft, Department Chair, Cardiac Coordinator
- Erin Burns, Clinical Coordinator, Abdomen Instructor
- Leah Tupts, General Coordinator, OBG/GYN Instructor
- Monnica Williams, Vascular Coordinator
- Anne Villanova, Cardiac Instructor
All professors in the Sonography program have extensive clinical experience that is invaluable in training students in the profession. Each program professor is an excellent classroom educator committed to graduating students who are proficient in essential skills.
Career Outlook for Major
Sonography is an excellent field to enter with a strong economic outlook. Between 85 and 90 percent of graduates from the St. Catharine College Sonography program get jobs in their field soon after completing the program. Experts at the Bureau of Labor Statistics predict that the field will experience above average growth through 2014.
To Get Started or For More Information
Please contact Program Director (Ms. Craft: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Clinical Coordinator (Mrs. Burns: email@example.com) to learn more about academic readiness and gain an understanding of the application process. Please bring with you a copy of all college transcripts as this will help advising to be most accurate and beneficial.
Fall Application Session Schedule
The application process for Fall 2014 is now closed. Applications for the Fall 2015 class will be accepted beginning August 2014. Meeting dates to be announced.
Application to the Sonography program will be accepted from St. Catharine College students in good stand and admitted transfer students.
*If unable to attend one of these sessions due to schedule conflict, please request an appointment with the Program Director or Clinical Coordinator as an option.
Class of 2014